Creamy, clots in baking, excellent for dips and various toppings
Finding a vegan recipe for sour cream was quite a challenge!
Most recipes contained cashews or just silken tofu (which yielded more of a sauce texture than sour cream.
Cashews are excellent raw material, but in sour cream recipes, their taste is too dominant, the color does not come out like that of typical sour cream. Most importantly, the sour cream does not clot well in baking (at least not in my experiments).
So I sat and thought: “What could possibly be the best substitute for taste, texture, and color? One that will contain a high level of protein and will clot in baking like regular sour cream?”
The answer came pretty quickly: Almonds!
From here, it was easy: almonds and silken tofu in a ratio of 1: 2, with lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and salt in a blender yielded a perfect sour cream with a delicious taste and a typical color of regular sour cream.
I use it in dishes such as Potato Skins, Rockot Krumpli (a Hungarian style potato pie, recipe coming soon), or as a topping for an apple pie (recipe coming soon too)
Since almonds do not have the buttery texture of cashews, the sour cream was not 100% smooth, which is fine for me;
But when it came to uploading the recipe to the blog – it was important to me to bring it to perfection!
And so I sieved the cream through a nut bag and squeezed it as hard as I could.
I got a velvety thick sour cream – mission accomplished!
Enjoy and let me know how it turned out ❣️
3/4 – 1 cup
vegan sour cream
Vegan Sour Cream
- Drain the almonds from the soaking water and rinse well. Place in a strong blender and process for a few minutes until thin crumbs are obtained.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: silken tofu, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and salt and process for a few minutes until smooth.
- Place a bag of nut milk on a vessel that will comfortably hold the mixture. Pour the mixture into the bag.
- Squeeze the nut-bag as hard as possible. At the end of the process, a solid mixture will remain in the bag -save it for other uses such as Vegan Feta Cheese (recipe soon).
- Transfer the sour cream to an airtight jar and place it in the refrigerator to set for about an hour.
- The sour cream is excellent as it is, as a dip, and a garnish to various dishes. In addition, it clots in baking like actual sour cream, making it ideal for cake filling and icing, pies, and so much more.