Chocolate cake is undoubtedly the “black dress” in the cake “wardrobe” 😋😋🌻❣❣
And so, I was surprised when I noticed no chocolate cake recipe on the blog until now. We have a recipe for a festive chocolate cake with chestnuts and even a chocolate tart with a raspberry coating.
However, I mean a chocolate cake with a shiny chocolate coating and sprinkles candies – in short – a cake with lots and lots of chocolate!
The roots of this fantastic melt-in-your-mouth cake lie in a recipe I got in the 1980s. I used to bake it often for about twenty years, including birthdays and other events – and always received applause.
However, the original recipe contains six whole eggs – with egg white meringue (would you believe it?)
So, after so many years that this perfect cake has been waiting on my to-do list; I finally picked up the glove and veganized it.
Luckily, I only needed two attempts to get a perfect version, one I can sign and include in the blog. I think this is the ultimate chocolate cake!
This cake has both chocolate and cocoa powder. Applesauce and almond butter (or tahini) replace eggs. And yes, you can make great cakes even without applesauce and tahini. But believe me, in this recipe – they take the cake to the next level. The result is a soft cake, easy to slice, and dangerously delicious 🙂 And if that’s not enough – it has a shining chocolate coating.
You can serve this decadent chocolate cake as is. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. And if you want to sin – accompany it with strawberry or vanilla-passion-fruit dressing – and you get a perfect dessert.
Enjoy, and let me know how it turned out 😋❣
RECIPEVegan Chocolate Cake
- ⅔ 1 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup coco powder
- ½1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Prepare all the ingredients for the cake in advance so that they are at hand.
- Grease a 20 cm x 30 cm (8-inch X 12-inch) rectangular pan; if you choose an aluminum pan – line it with baking paper and brush it with oil.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius – 338 Fahrenheit.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a deep bowl, mix well and set aside.
- Melt chocolate cubes and olive oil in the microwave for a minute, take out and mix well, if the chocolate doesn't melt completely, put it back in the microwave for a few more seconds. Transfer with a spatula to another bowl.
- Add sugar, almond butter (or tahini), applesauce, and vanilla extract to a bowl and mix well. Add water, milk and apple cider vinegar and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture gradually and mix with a whisk until the flour is completely incorporated into the batter.
- Pour into the mold and use a good spatula to clean the bowl. Place in the center of the oven and bake for 60-75 minutes, until a toothpick or wooden skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a wire rack; pour the frosting over it while it is still warm.
- Melt chocolate and milk in the microwave, take them out, and mix well. Add maple syrup, olive oil, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix well until you get a smooth and shiny cream. Pour the cream immediately over the warm cake. If necessary, tilt the mold from side to side for complete distribution.
- When the frosting cools, sprinkle small candies. Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan at room temperature before slicing.
- You can serve the cake as is or upgrade it to the next level with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, strawberry dressing, or vanilla-passion-fruit dressing (recipes coming soon)