This recipe was inspired by the Butter Chicken recipe.
So I put tofu in a blender, threw in spices, added oil and a little water, and processed to a smooth mixture.
I made a rich masala sauce: I fried onions, ginger, garlic, and spices, added crushed tomatoes, and cooked for a few minutes. I transferred to a blender, returned to the pan, added coconut milk, water, and fenugreek leaves (optional), made balls from the tofu mixture and added to the sauce, cooked for ten minutes, and served with white rice and chapati.
I got Tender meatballs, which, together with the masala sauce, created a dish rich in taste and texture.
Enjoy, and let me know how it turned out 🙏❣
- 2 Tablespoon canola or sunflower oil
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- ½ Tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 400 gram crushed tomatoes one can
- ½ tsp chili powder by taste
- ½ tsp ground fenugreek powder
- 1 cup coconut cream
- ¼ cup water as needed
- ½ tsp sugar by taste
- 1 tsp salt by taste
- ½ tsp Dried fenugreek leaves (Kasoori Methi) optional
- Coriander or parsley leaves, chapati, white rice
- Put all the ingredients for the tofu balls except the water in a blender, process for a few seconds, and gradually add water: add a tablespoon of water and process for a few seconds; add another tablespoon of water and process for a few seconds until you get a uniform but thick mixture. Set aside or in the fridge to set. You can also prepare it a day in advance, cover it, and store it in the refrigerator.
- Heat canola oil and coconut oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the onion and fry for a few minutes until it becomes translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger and fry for a minute until fragrant. Add cumin, garam masala, ground coriander, chili, and fenugreek powder, and fry for a few seconds while stirring until fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes, bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cook for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, transfer the mixture to a blender, and process until you get a smooth mixture.
- Pour the sauce back into the wok. Add water, coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Sprinkle the fenugreek leaves, mix well, taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Form balls from the tofu mixture with a diameter of about four cm (approximately 1.5 inches) and place them in the sauce. Using a spoon, pour the sauce on the meatballs. Cook for about ten minutes on low heat so the sauce bubbles gently; remove from the heat.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley and serve with rice, and/or chapati.