In the 1960s, the price of pistachios reached the level of truffles; Well, maybe just in the eyes of a little girl, who was watching with amazement (and jealousy) her rich neighbors; Those who immigrated from Egypt and devoured pistachio sacks at a dizzying pace – like there is no tomorrow!😅
In those days, no one dared to imagine, at least not in our humble and tiny neighborhood, baking or making desserts from these rare nuts. So instead, those who have managed to lay their hands on them – preferred to consume them clean – 24 carats solid green gold.
Years have passed; The wheel turned, and the pistachio, still considered noble – became affordable. In any case, you no longer have to sell a house for this green treasure.
Thanks to those good old days, pistachios will always have a warm place in my palate. However, nowadays, I do not hesitate to try them in various combinations (in addition to ice cream); The result is outstanding and reveals new flavor layers of this delicious nut.
This time, I went west to French cuisine: I made a vegan pistachio patisserie cream on a crispy bottom of almond and coconut flour.
This recipe is really easy:
Quickly make a crust in a food processor.
Line a pan with it.
Bake for about 15 minutes and let it cool.
Place the ingredients of the pistachio cream in a high-speed blender and blend to a smooth cream. Cook the cream for a few minutes until it starts to bubble; allow the cream to cool; next, spread it on the cooled crust.
Sprinkle chopped pistachios over the pistachio cream and place it in the refrigerator to set.
Enjoy, and let me know how it turned out. ❤️
RECIPEVegan Pistachio Tart, Gluten Free
Pistachio Pastry Cream
- 2-3 tbsp raw pistachios, chopped
- Preheat oven to medium heat 170 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a 8.6 inch tart pan, base and sides.
- Place the dough ingredients in a food processor and process until it forms into a ball.
- Line the mold with dough – bottom and sides; Prick the dough with a fork.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until nicely golden. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Pistachio Pastry Cream
- Place the pistachio cream ingredients in a strong blender and process for a few minutes until very smooth. Taste and add maple syrup if necessary (usually, it is sweet enough).
- Transfer the pistachio cream to a small saucepan, preferably with a thick bottom; cook stirring consistently over medium heat until the cream starts bubbling. Remove from the heat and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Spread the pistachio cream over the cooled crust.
- Sprinkle the chopped pistachios over the pistachio cream, cover with cling film, and place in the refrigerator for at least half an hour to set. Serve cold or at room temperature (in mild weather, ok?)