India and North Africa meet in this easy and appealing recipe 🙂
The inspiration came from Jeera Aloo, a traditional recipe from Indian cuisine, where you fry cumin seeds, add cooked potato cubes and sautée them with lemon juice and chili.
But then I remembered I had a jar of pickled lemon in the fridge and a bag of small potatoes.
So I baked the potatoes until soft and cut them into cubes. I then fried cumin and coriander seeds, added spices, pickled lemon, and chili flakes, popped the potatoes in and sautéed everything for a few minutes.
I added chopped cilantro and served it with homemade coconut yogurt to balance the spiciness.
It turned out delicious with zero effort❣️😋
Enjoy and let me know how it turned out❣️
Fry cumin and coriander seeds, add spices and preserved lemon and pop in Baked potatoes cut into cubes. Sautée for a couple of minutes and serve with chopped cilantro and coconut yogurt to balance the spiciness. Delicious with zero effort❣️😋
- 700 Gram small potatoes
- 3 Tablespoon olive oil, or canola oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt by taste
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes, or green chili, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1-1.5 Tablespoon preserved lemon by taste
- 1-2 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- vegan yoghurt Coconut yoghurt will make a perfect match, but any vegan yoghurt will do.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (356 F), place the potatoes on a baking tray, and bake for about half an hour – until the potatoes are tender (a skewer penetrates them easily). Avoid over-baking. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Cut the potatoes into about 1.5 cm (0.5-Inches) cubes; there is no need to remove the skin. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or a wok, heat the oil, add cumin seeds and coriander seeds and fry while stirring until aromatic; lower the heat and add the rest of the spices, salt, and pickled lemon. Mix well for a few more seconds.
- Add the baked potato cubes to the pan, sauté for a minute or two and remove from the heat.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary: salt, pickled lemon, chili flakes
- add chopped cilantro and mix
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve with vegan yogurt. Coconut yogurt (recipe coming soon) is a perfect match, but any other vegan yogurt will do.
?Did you try this recipeMention @VGFoodStory or tag #vgfoodstory
Leave a Reply