I’ve noticed that you guys have been saving recipes for the holidays for a few weeks now 🙂
I also found out that I am not the only one who got stuck with a stack of rice paper bought on a whim 😉
So I decided to turn the lemon into lemonade by starting a Rice Paper Recipes Project!
These cute crispy pumpkin pastries pay homage to the traditional pumpkin pie: rice papers filled with sweet pumpkin puree’ enriched with coconut milk and spices, brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with pumpkin seeds.
Enjoy and have a happy holiday season ❣️
- Preheat oven to 356 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius)
- Place the mashed pumpkin to a large bowl, add tapioca starch, syrup maple, coconut milk, vanilla, salt and spices and mix well
- In a small bawl mix together vegan melted butter and maple syrup and set aside.
- Hold a rice paper under running water for a second or two – no more. The less water, the crispier the pastry bites will be – If the rice paper is not entirely wet after two seconds, place it on a surface, and massage it with the palm of your hand to disperse the liquids.
- Place two tablespoons of the filling in the center of the rice sheet (see photo).
- Fold the "left wing" on top of the center (see image).
- Next, fold the "right wing" on top of the "left wing".
- Next, fold the "bottom wing;
- And finally fold the "upper wing" – you can roll the excess under the "package" that was created from the folding.
- Brush generously with melted vegan butter mixture, and sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Increase to 392 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) and bake for about 10 minutes more, until golden.
- Remove the pastry bites from the oven and carefully place them on a rack to cool, so the bottom remains crispy. .
- Serve at room temperature or slightly warm
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg*
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves*
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper