For me, an apple pie means a cozy home, a comforting dish that stands on its own (at home or in a restaurant), or a dessert that leaves a sweet kiss in the mouth.
There are so many variations for this classic dish! Starting with Apple Pie, Tart Tatin, and Apple Strudel (recipe coming soon :)) through Hungarian apple cake (recipe coming soon too), an upside-down apple cake, up to recipes that play with the basic ingredients: apples, flour, sugar, and fat.
No matter what style the apple cake is, it always belongs to the classics of cakes, the ones that stand the most brutal test of all – the test of TIME.
Undoubtedly, apple cake is a rib in the holy trinity of cakes: cheese, chocolate, and apples. Isn’t it?
So what do we have here: a crunchy crust, topped with apple slices which are not cooked or caramelized but soaked in boiling water to preserve their crunchiness, coated with a mixture of vegan sour cream, sugar, cinnamon, and ground cardamom.
You can’t fail with this easy recipe!
Enjoy and let me know how it turned out ❣️
- 3-4 green apples depends on size; I used 4 small apples
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. (356 F)
- Line the pan with baking paper and grease well (including the baking paper)
- Mix all the ingredients in a food processor for a few seconds until it forms into a ball.
- Line the dough on the bottom of the greased pan. (Bottom only – no sides)
Vegan Sour Cream Coating
- Mix sour cream, sugar, cinnamon and cardamom in a bowl and set aside.
- Peel the apples, cut into 8 slices and remove the cores.
- Place the apples in a bowl, pour boiling water until the apples are covered, cover with a lid, and set aside for 15 minutes. It will "wet" the apples and soften them a bit. *
- Strain the apples ** and place them densely over the dough; Don't worry if they overlap.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until the apples soften slightly (prick with a wooden skewer)
- Remove from the oven (to spread the sour cream coating)
Vegan Sour Cream Coating
- Pour the sour cream mixture over the apples. If necessary, tilt the mold to ensure an even coating (with kitchen gloves, of course – to avoid burns 🙂
- Return to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the coating sets and turns golden.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack; To safely remove the cake from the pan, pass a knife or metal spatula around the cake before releasing the spring.
- Serve lukewarm or cold.