Based on a traditional honey cake, usually served in the Jewish new year holiday (which is approaching) as a symbol for a sweet year.
Yet, the apples together with scented spices make it a typical autumn cake.
There is no need to pre-cook the apple; we just soak the slices in boiling water for a few minutes to “wet” them a little.
Turn the cake over on a serving plate so that the bottom of the apple slices is facing up.
Although this is a no-processed-sugar cake, you can make an exception from time to time, and sprinkle powdered sugar on top 🙂
Enjoy and let me know how it turned out ❤️
Up-Side-Down Red Apple
- 1 red-apple such as 'Pink Lady' or 'Pink-Crisper'
- Boiling water to cover the apples
- 1¾ cups white spelt flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp Pumpkin Spice* Or a teaspoon and a half of cinnamon, a quarter teaspoon of ground ginger, and a quarter teaspoon of ground allspice; Instead of ground allspice, you can use a pinch of ground cloves (see note at the bottom of the post)
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Cut baking paper into a circle 8 inches in diameter and line the bottom of the pan with it.
- Grease the base (baking paper) and sides of the pan with vegan butter or melted coconut oil.
Up-Side-Down Red Apple
- Cut the apple into four (no need to peel), clean the core, and cut each apple quarter into four slices. You get a total of 16 apple slices.
- Transfer the apple slices to a bowl, pour boiling water to cover, and cover with a lid. Set aside for 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, you can mix the dry and the wet ingredients in two separate bowls as follows:
- Strain the apple slices.** Place 14 apple slices in a circle on the bottom of the pan with the baking paper; place the remaining two pieces in the center – (see image).
- Sift the flour into a medium-deep bowl and add baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Mix with a fork or whisk.
- In a large bowl, mix melted butter or coconut oil, apple puree, maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and salt; In a small bowl, combine the milk with the apple cider vinegar, add the milk to the batter and mix well.
Assembling the cake
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture while stirring until the dry mixture is absorbed into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the pan over the apple slices, flatten with a spoon or spatula, Place in the hot oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, remove the cake from the pan, turn it over on a serving plate and carefully remove the baking paper.
- Although this is a no-processed-sugar cake, you can make an exception from time to time, and sprinkle powdered sugar on top 🙂 Enjoy❤️