I have a small confession to make: I was supposed to freeze this recipe for the winter season and post it with the first rain.
But anyone who knows me knows how hard it is for me to hold back, especially with gifts 🙂
And as always, there is an excuse: after all, we have minced meat and potatoes all year round, right?
This time we have a stir-fry of Beyond minced, with onions, carrots, garlic, and celery, fortified with red wine and green peas.
Over the Byond mixture, spread mashed potatoes with butter and nutritional yeast.
Bake for about an hour and let the mixture rest for about 20 minutes. It’s best to make this Vegan Shepherd’s Pie a day in advance to set and develop flavor.
Serve with a green salad, and put your hand on a second round in advance!
Enjoy and let me know how it turned out😋❣️
Beyond Meat Mixture
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves minced garlic
- 1 carrot, thinly chopped
- 1 celery root clean and grated or 2 celery sticks
- 650 gram beyond meat and such
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ cup frozen green peas
- 100 gram tomato paste
- 2 cup water
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 tsp bouillon
- 1 Tablespoon shitake powder ground dried shitake in blender
- salt, black pepper by taste
Beyond Meat Mixture
- Put the frozen peas in a bowl, pour boiling water until covered, and cover with a lid; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok, add onion, and fry until onion becomes translucent; Add crushed garlic and fry for a few more seconds.
- Add carrots, celery, thyme, and rosemary and fry while stirring for 3-4 minutes.
- Add vegan meat, and fry while stirring for a few minutes until it begins to brown.
- Add water, wine, tomato paste, bouillon, shitake mushroom powder, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and cook for half an hour, occasionally stirring; if necessary, add water. (In the meantime, you can cook the potatoes).
- Remove from the heat, strain the peas and add it to the meat mixture. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer to a greased pan measuring 25 by 32 cm (9.9-inches by 8.6-inches) and flatten with a spoon.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius – 356 F
- Peel the potatoes and slice. Transfer to a saucepan and fill with water until covered. Add salt. Put allspice and bay leaf in a small cloth bag, close the bag, and put it in the pot.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are soft; Remove from heat.
- Drain most of the liquid, and leave about a quarter of a cup in the pot. Remove the bag with the bay leaf and allspice.
- Mash the potatoes, add coconut milk, butter, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the meat mixture. Use a fork or a "comb" for vegetables to form nice shapes. Spray with Pam oil (helps with browning).
- Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until golden. Remove and let cool for about 20 minutes before serving. Serve with a green salad.
- Better make the Vegan Shepherd’s Pie a day in advance to allow the ingredients to develop a dialogue and stabilize nicely❣️😋
- based on this recipe: RecipeTinEats