Although so far my visit to the UK has been a night at Manchester airport (not fun!) this dish was inspired by Fish and Chips. A good friend who lived there for several years described it to me wistfully and ignited my imagination.
Soft Tofu slices are coated in a “secret” batter and deep-fried until brown.
You get “fillet” fingers that are soft inside and crispy on the outside with a fish texture and flavor, served with lemon wedges, home fries, and a traditional mayonnaise-dill sauce.
The carnivores who tried it agreed with a full mouth that there is no difference between the vegan version and the original.
You can also serve these crispy “fillet” fingers on a bed of fried rice with a vegan egg (recipe coming soon), green biryani rice (recipe coming soon, too), or paella.
Enjoy, and let me know how it turned out🐟😋❣
- 300 gram extra soft tofu do not use silken tofu!
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup chickpea water you can use the liquid from a can
- 3 Tablespoon water
- 1 Tablespoon kelp granules or a nori sheet see notes
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder optional
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- pinch chili flakes optional
- French fries or home fries, mayonnaise-dill dressing* or other dressings, by taste Instructions for mayonnaise-dill dressing – at the bottom of the post.
- Fried rice with vegetables and a vegan egg (recipe coming soon)
- Green biryani (recipe coming soon)
- vegan paella
- Put all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, add chickpea water, lemon juice, and water, and mix well. You get a thick mixture, which is fine; We want a slightly thick coating to preserve the texture of the tofu and give it flavor. If it feels too thick, add another tablespoon of water, but no more.
- Take the tofu from the package and lightly dry it with a paper towel.
- Cut the tofu into thick slices of 1.2 – 1.5 cm (0.47 to 0.6 inches).
- cut each slice lengthwise.
- Dip the tofu fingers in the batter to be well covered; Leave in the refrigerator or at room temperature for about half an hour.
- Pour oil about 1 cm (0.4 – 0.5 inches) high into a large skillet.
- Take out the tofu slices, dip them again in the batter to ensure it's completely coated, then hold them over the bowl, and let them drip off the excess batter for a few seconds. Put in the hot oil and fry on both sides until nicely browned. You can use tongs.
- Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Fish & Chips: Serve with French fries, home fries, lemon wedges, mayo-dill dressing*, and sriracha.
- With Rice: lemon wedges, fried rice with vegan egg, biryani rice,, vegan paella etc.
- Mayo-Dill Dressing: mix together Vegan Mayonnaise apple cider vinegar and a tiny bit of water – it’s that simple 🙂
- You can also make this fried fish in an air fryer – but keep in mind that the result will be less juicy.
- You can replace kelp flakes with nori seaweed: put chickpea water in a blender, break in the seaweed, and process until combined; Add the rest of the ingredients and continue processing until combined. Keep in mind that the color of the batter may change depending on the color of the seaweed – I tried with organic nori seaweed – which turned the batter purple-pink 🙂 the taste was similar, though 🙂
Leave a Reply