This recipe joins its ultimate partner, Fried Oyster Mushrooms in Shrimp Style – This mix makes a perfect match.
It took me quite some time with this recipe; The problem was that the breadcrumbs coating separated from the mushroom during frying 🥵
In the end, the trial and error bore fruit: I first realized that the mushroom rings needed to be soaked in water so that the coating would not separate from them.
I also discovered that the breadcrumbs must be the traditional version in three steps: flour mixture, batter, and breadcrumbs mixture. It also turned out that to get the best results, don’t deep fry.
Only then did I reach my destination: crispy “squid” rings, with a perfect sea taste!
Serve with Fried Oyster Mushrooms In Shrimp Style. Accompany the dish with a lemon wedge, aioli dip, mayonnaise mixed with Sriracha sauce, or any of your favorite dips.
Enjoy and let me know how it turned out 😋 ❣️
RECIPEKing Oyster Mushrooms Calamari Style
- 200 gram King Oyster Mushrooms
- water to soak the mushrooms
- oil for frying
- 3 Tablespoon chickpea flour
- ½ cup water to add gradually
- 1½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon almond butter
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt by taste
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1½ Tablespoon kelp granules or two nori sheets, crumbled
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- lemon wedge, aioli dip, mayo mixed with sriracha, beer
- Prepare the mushrooms: cut off the heads of the mushrooms and keep them for other recipes.
- Cut into slices about half a cm thick (0.2-Inch)
- Use cookie cutters to form rings from the slices. Then, using a smaller cookie cutter, form smaller rings from the removed parts; See Image.Save the parts which are too small to form rings – for other recipes; See notes.
- Transfer the mushroom rings to a bowl and cover with water.
- Put flour, cornstarch, and kelp powder in a bowl and mix well.
- Mix chickpea flour, water, and vinegar well in a separate bowl add almond butter, and mix.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well. If the mixture is thicker than the texture of a beaten egg, add water gradually, a little at a time.
- Mix well in a bowl the breadcrumbs with kelp powder and the rest of the spices, and Transfer to a flat plate.
- Take the mushrooms out of the water, shake a little, dip in the flour coating, shake off excess; Dip in the batter and shake off excess, roll in the breadcrumbs coating and place on a flat plate. **See note
- Heat canola or sunflower oil in a medium skillet; the oil should reach about half the height of the mushrooms (don't deep fry!)
- Transfer 5-6 units to the hot oil and fry on both sides until nicely golden (about two minutes on each side). Remove carefully with tongs, and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Repeat with the rest of the mushrooms.
- Serve with a lemon wedge, aioli dip, mayonnaise mixed with sriracha sauce, and cold beer. Serving suggestion: serve with Fried Oyster Mushrooms Shrimp Style as a "shrimp-squid" mix.