Fish sauce is an essential ingredient in many Asian dishes. The good news: you can easily veganize it!
Kombu and wakame seaweed provide a distinct sea flavor, while soy sauce, miso, dried shiitake mushrooms, pineapple, ginger, and garlic deepen and enrich it.
A tablespoon or two of this rich and concentrated sauce will upgrade any dish, Starting with Pho soup, through noodles, to salads and other Asian dishes.
Enjoy, and let me know how it turned out 🙂
A spoonful or more of this concentrated and rich vegan fish sauce will upgrade almost any dish. Fish is replaced by seaweed and fortified with dried shiitake mushrooms, miso, and pineapple. Add it to soups, noodles, salads, and other Asian dishes.
Yields About two cups
- 3 Kombu sticks
- ½ cup Wakame seaweed
- 4 cups water
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- ½ Tablespoon black peppercorn
- 6 Dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 150 gram Frozen or fresh pineapple cubes about one cup (compressed)
- 1 Ginger 3-Inches (7 cm) long, peeled and sliced by taste
- 2 Tablespoon miso
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- Put kombu, wakame, black pepper, garlic, ginger, and mushrooms in a soup pot. Add soy sauce, water, and salt. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for about an hour.
- Strain the mixture, but keep the solids aside; we will add them later; Pour the liquid back into the pot. Add pineapple cubes and miso, cover and bring to a boil; remove the lid and continue to cook on high heat until the liquid is reduced by about half.
- Return the solids to the pot. Cover and leave in a cool place overnight; Then filter again and transfer the liquid to a bottle. Store in the fridge.
?Did you try this recipeMention @VGFoodStory or tag #vgfoodstory
Leave a Reply