There are many vegan bacon recipes: rice sheets, seitan, tofu, and yuba. In addition, there are recipes that almost accurately recreate the strips of fat in the original bacon – what can I tell you, a vast and delicious selection!
I prefer a recipe with tofu; It has a combination of softness and crispiness at the same time, which is perfect for pasta like Spaghetti Carbonara – it also blends excellently in sandwiches and vegan egg dishes.
More important – the excellent taste of this vegan bacon does not betray the ease of preparation.
We start by cutting the tofu into cubes or slices and soaking it in a marinade for several hours – preferably overnight (it keeps in the fridge for about a week).
Bake the tofu with the marinade over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes – let it cool for a few minutes – that’s the whole story.
This Tofu Bacon is excellent in a sandwich: your favorite bread, Vegan Mayonnaise, crispy lettuce, tomatoes, red onion rings, Tofu Bacon, and you have a delicious lunch!
Enjoy and let me know how it turned out ❣️
- Cut the tofu into 1 cm (0.4 inches) cubes or thin slices about 3 mm (0.1 inches) thick.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients well in a bowl and transfer to an airtight storage container
- Add the tofu, shake or flip the container occasionally. Soak for at least an hour, and better overnight to absorb flavors.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius (320 F); Line a baking tray with baking paper, place the tofu; Sprinkle the rest of the marinade over the tofu.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until brown and slightly crispy; Make sure the tofu doesn't not burn; Check after about ten minutes, and mix for evenly baking
- When ready – remove from the oven and let cool for about five minutes. The tofu bacon will turn more crispy.