This recipe was born from the matzo ball soup recipe. I thought about what to do with the cooked root vegetables; when I realized that I could use the air fryer and make delicious patties coated in breadcrumbs. Root vegetables are full of vitamins etc., but they also have a deep and rich taste; after all, they season other recipes such as soups and stews – don’t they?
Start by cooking a soup with various root vegetables: celery, parsley root, carrot, and onion.
Drain the vegetables well and squeeze them over a colander to remove as much liquid as possible.
Mash the vegetables, add almond butter or tahini for stabilization, salt and pepper, and, if desired, also fresh herbs.
Form meatballs with wet hands, roll in breadcrumbs, grissini (bread sticks), or cornflakes crumbs, brush or spray with olive oil, and bake in the air fryer until brown.
Serve with a vegan yogurt dressing.
Enjoy, share, and let me know how it turned out 🌸😋❣
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced, about half a cm thick
- 1-2 Parsley root, washed well and cut into quarters or eighths depending on the size of the root
- 1-2 Celery root brushed and cleaned well, peeled, and cut into quarters.
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into four
- 2 celery sticks cut into four
- 1 unit bay leaf
- 5 units allspice kernels
- 5 units black pepper kernels
- 2½ liter water
- 1 Tablespoon salt by taste
- ⅛ tsp ground turmeric
Patties (6-7 units)
- Root veggies we cooked before
- 1 Tablespoon almond butter or tahini
- ½-1 tsp lemon juice optional, by taste
- 1 tsp Chopped herbs (parsley, dill, etc.) optional, by taste
- ½ tsp salt by taste
- ⅛ tsp black pepper, chili flakes by taste
- bread crumbs, bread sticks, or cornflakes crumbs
- olive oil for brushing or spraying
Vegan Yogurt Dressing
- 150-200 ml vegan yogurt
- 1 tsp Chopped herbs (parsley, dill, etc.)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼-½ tsp lemon juice by taste
- ¼ tsp apple cider vinegar
- salt, black pepper, chili flakes by taste
- water to dilute the dressing
- Put the vegetables in a soup pot: celery root, parsley root, celery sticks, onion, and carrot.
- Put bay leaves, allspice and black pepper in a small cloth bag. Close the bag tightly and place in the pot.
- Add water and salt; Cover, boil, and lower the heat to gentle simmering. Cook for 50 minutes.
- take out the bag with the spices; Strain the vegetables with a strainer placed over a bowl to absorb the soup. Mash the vegetables with a soup ladle or a schnitzel hammer, to squeeze out as much flavorful liquid as possible. Return the liquids that have accumulated in the bowl under the strainer to the soup pot. or transfer to a storage container.
- Put the drained vegetables in a mixing bowl. Add the other ingredients: almond butter, chopped herbs, lemon juice, salt, and spices, and mix well until you get a soft mixture that is easy to work with. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add a teaspoon or two of potato flour or cornstarch if the vegetable is too soft to shape meatballs.
- Wet your hands and form patties (about 6-8 units). Roll them in breadcrumbs or cornflakes.
- Turn on the air fryer, and adjust to a temperature of 200 degrees Celsius, 392 Fahrenheit, for twenty minutes. Place the patties in the frying basket and spray the meatballs with olive oil on both sides. After about ten minutes, open the air fryer, spray again with olive oil on both sides, and return for another 10 minutes until the meatballs are golden. If necessary, turn thethem halfway until they are evenly golden on both sides.
- Serve the patties with yogurt dressing: put the yogurt and the rest of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. If too thick, add water gradually until you get the desired consistency.
Leave a Reply