Smoky-flavored eggplant salad, similar to the grilled version but much easier and quicker to prepare.
Grilled Eggplant salad (in tahini or mayonnaise) is one of my favorites! There is nothing like the smell and taste of barbequed eggplant! The problem is the mess it leaves in the kitchen.
Thanks to my friend’s dad, I discovered the option of “grilled” eggplant in the microwave: Add a few drops of a ‘magic liquid,” and in just a few minutes, you get a delicious “smoked” eggplant salad.
Choose lightweight eggplant – the lighter it is, the fewer seeds it has, which gives us more eggplant! Simple math – right?
Prick the eggplant with a fork or wooden skewer and cook in the microwave for 6-8 minutes.
Remove from the microwave, let cool for a few minutes. Then, cut the eggplant lengthwise and scoop the pulp with a spoon.
Add a few drops of liquid smoke, minced garlic, tahini (or vegan mayonnaise), lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and a pinch of black salt. You can also add sweet paprika or chili flakes. Enjoy ❣️
Thanks to Yaeli’s dad for this great and practical idea!
RECIPEMicrowave Baba Ganoush
- Prick the eggplant from all sides with a fork or wooden skewer.
- Place in the microwave and cook on high power for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Cool for a few minutes then cut the eggplant in half alongside (caution: hot steam). Remove the skin by scooping the pulp with a spoon and transfer it to a bowl.
- Mash the eggplant with a fork, add the tahini mixed with water, garlic, lemon juice, liquid smoke, salt, pepper, paprika, Tabasco, black salt, and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer to a serving plate or storage container. Excellent on bread, crackers, pita, or grissini sticks.