I only had one dilemma with this exotic recipe: should I categorize it as a soup or drink?
This recipe is based on Borscht: chilled beet soup with lemon juice and sour cream. In my opinion, this is the best refresher for the hot summer besides cold beer.
On the other hand, when I added coconut milk, spices, and Bacardi Spiced Rum, an image of a summer afternoon immediately appeared before my eyes:
Gourmet titbits buffet; guests walk around, holding a Spicy Beetroot Cocktail and snacking crackers. At the same time, a breeze from a vast window overlooking the Mediterranean caresses everyone.
Place beet and garlic in a blender, add ice water, coconut milk, lemon juice, salt, spices, and spiced rum, and top with vegan yogurt or sour cream. Serve in soup bowls or wine/cocktail glasses. Cheers❣️
Enjoy and let me know how it turned ou😋❣️
- 500 gram cooked beet
- 2 cups cold water according to the desired thickness
- 2 cups ice cubes or cold water
- 2 cloves garlic
- pinch tarragon or thyme
- 1 Tablespoon tamarind paste or lemon juice by taste
- pinch ground coriander
- pinch ground allspice
- salt, black pepper, chili flakes by taste
- ½ tsp lemon zest optional
- ½ cup Coconut milk 18% fat
- 4-6 Tablespoon Spiced Rum (such as BACARDÍ ) not rum flavor extract!
- Place beet and garlic in the blender and process to a puree.
- Add ice cubes and process until the ice is completely crushed.
- Add water, coconut milk, salt, lemon zest, spices, and rum and process for a few more seconds; check the thickness and add water if necessary. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Pour into wine glasses or soup bowls, gently drizzle with vegan sour cream or yogurt, and sprinkle with sumac and grated lemon peel. Serve with beet chips or beet crackers.