In Pilas Dough, Served With Vegan Sour Cream
Cabbage and onions are Sauteed and seasoned with caraway seeds and ground black pepper. Wrapped in Pilas Dough or puff pastry and baked till brown. Serve the strudel as a starter or as a side dish; Add a veggie salad, and you will get a light meal.
The original recipe requires a real strudel dough, but we make a shortcut and use Pilas Dough, a finer dought than puff pastry. Braid the dough, as in the picture, or wrap it as a package — either way, you will get a crispy comforting dish!
Serve with vegan sour cream mixed with olive oil and salt. Add a vegetable salad – and you have a light meal.
Enjoy and let me know how it turned out ❣️
- vegan sour cream mixed with olive oil, salt and black pepper
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion and sugar, and fry over medium heat until the onion begins to brown.
- Add sliced cabbage, salt, pepper, and caraway and continue to fry, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat, and cook without a lid for about twenty minutes until the cabbage is reduced and softened. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (392 F).
- Open the Pilas Dough (or puff pastry), and cut a sheet 38 cm long.
- Place baking paper over the dough and turn it so that the baking paper is down and the plastic wrap is up. At this point, you can remove the plastic wrap.
- Mark the narrow margins about 6 cm wide and cut the edges of the margins as in the picture.
- Arrange the cabbage filling along the middle third of the dough but leave the top and bottom edges clean.
- Fold the bottom and top edges over the dough. Cut strips 1.5 – 2 cm wide on both sides of the filling, and braid the stripes as in the photo.
- Spray the top of the dough with Pam Oil spray * See a note at the post's bottom.
- Put the strudel with the baking paper on a baking tray and place it in the center of the oven. Bake for about 40 minutes until puffed and browned. Remove from the oven, and let cool for a few minutes.
- Serve with Vegan Sour Cream mixed with salt, black pepper, and olive oil.
- Pam Oil Spray contains lecithin – an ingredient also present in egg yolk and helps in browning.