Good food is usually based on two principles: the art of combining the ingredients and the ratio of the quantities between them.
This lovely light dish – reflects that well!
I got the inspiration for this recipe from Chef Joel’s Creamy Pasta With Salami. After I closed my eyes for a moment, I got an image of a pasta bowl with salami and a creamy artichoke sauce.
So, I took a package of frozen artichoke hearts out of the freezer (they almost gave up on me doing anything with them), put them under the tap to melt the ice layer, brushed them with olive oil, and roasted them in the air fryer.
In the meantime, I cooked pasta and fried vegan salami cubes, crushed garlic, and spices.
I put roasted artichoke, plant-based milk, pasta cooking water, and spices in the blender and processed until smooth.
I warmed the cream in a wok, added the pasta and the fried salami, mixed and served with vegan parmesan. I got a light yet filling dish with an accurate combination of flavors.
Enjoy, and let me know how it turned out 😋❣
- 500 gram pasta such as tagliatelle, pappardelle, or spaghetti
Artichoke Cream and Salami
- 400 gram artichoke hearts, frozen
- olive oil for brushing the artichokes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 160 gram vegan salami, diced I used Vgarden brand
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 0.5 tsp chili flakes by taste
- 0.5 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup oat milk or coconut milk
- 1-2 cup cooked pasta water
- ½ cup parsley leaves compressed half cup – by taste
- 1 tsp organic veggie powder optional
- 1 tsp shitake mushroom powder optional but recommended
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp white miso optional
- salt and black pepper
- chopped parsley
- vegan parmesan
- Cook the pasta according to the manufacturer's instructions until al dente. Strain and save the cooking water.
- Brush the artichoke hearts with oil while they are still frozen. If they are covered with a layer of ice – melt it under the tap water before brushing with oil.
- Roast the artichokes in the Air Fryer at 200 degrees Celsius 392 F for 20 minutes; Turn over after 10 minutes for even browning. Alternatively, you can roast the artichokes in the oven.
- Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet or wok, add the salami cubes, and fry for a few minutes. Take out and keep aside. Add a little more olive oil to the wok if necessary, and throw in the crushed garlic, oregano, thyme, and chili; fry for a few seconds, and remove from the heat.
- Put the roasted artichokes in a blender, add milk and one cup of the pasta cooking water, and add parsley, miso, soup powder, shiitake powder, brewer's yeast, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Add the garlic, oregano, thyme, and roasted chili. Run the blender until you get a smooth mixture; if it is too thick, gradually add pasta water until you get the desired consistency.
- Transfer the sauce to the wok and cook for a few minutes on low heat to warm it; add more of the pasta water if necessary. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add the pasta to the wok, sprinkle the fried salami cubes, mix, and remove from the heat.
- Divide into portions, garnish with parsley, and serve with vegan parmesan.