I have been thinking of an apple tart recipe for the blog for a long time. But I couldn’t make up my mind about the style.
From this point, it was easy:
Line a pan with a crispy crust;
Arrange over quarters of apples caramelized in butter and sugar;
Place in the oven until golden.
Next, cool to room temperature, pour over the pastry cream (preferably made with a vanilla pod), and refrigerate for about an hour.
The contrast of apples with the cream generates a celebration of taste and texture.
Please note: After a night in the fridge, the cream becomes firmer but maintains a creamy texture.
Enjoy and let me know how it turned out❣️
- 7 Peeled apples, cut into quarters, without the cores. about 1 Kg (2.2 pounds)
- 4 teasponn lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 50 gram vegan butter
- Mix the crust ingredients in a bowl or food processor until you get a ball of dough. If the dough is too dry, add a little water gradually.
- Line the base and sides of a well-greased tart pan using your hands. Refrigerate for at least half an hour. Meanwhile, prepare the apple filling.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius (374 F).
- In a large skillet, melt butter and sugar over medium heat.
- Add apples, water, and lemon juice and cook for 3-4 minutes while stirring and turning the apples; Lower the heat, cover and cook until the apples soften.
- Increase the heat, remove the lid, and cook, occasionally stirring, until the water evaporates, the apples turn slightly golden, and a thick syrup accumulates on the bottom. Remove from the heat.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, arrange the apples over the dough densely in circles, and bake in the center of the oven for 30-35 minutes until the dough is nicely golden. Keep the syrup in the pan. We will use it for the pastry cream.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Add the rest of the butter to the pan with the syrup in which we cooked the apples. Melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add while stirring: sugar, nutritional yeast, turmeric, paprika, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, agar powder, and salt; mix well.
- Increase to medium-high heat, add the coconut milk while stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, cook for another two minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Open the vanilla stick lengthwise and add to the mixture. Stir for a few seconds. Next, take out the vanilla bean, scrape off the seeds with a teaspoon and add to the cream. Mix well. Let the cream cool slightly.
- Pour the pastry cream over the apple filling and cool to room temperature. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.
- After an hour in the fridge, the pastry cream’s texture will look like those in the photos. However, after refrigerating the tart overnight, the cream firms but remains creamy.
- Do not throw away the empty vanilla pod; dry it over a paper towel and bury it in the sugar container. You will get wonderful vanilla-scented sugar.