The web is flooded with Asian-style tofu recipes alongside white rice or noodles.
For the sake of variety, I made relocation to tofu: Inspired by the roast beef I used to make frequently, in my pre-vegan period, I generously brushed thick slices of tofu in a mixture of mustard, maple, and lots of crushed garlic mixed with salt. Then, I sent the tofu to spend the night in the fridge to absorb flavors.
I sprinkled some rosemary on the tofu and seared it on a griddle pan the next day.
I chose to pair the tofu with flavors from Italy: rice with mushrooms that I made in a pressure cooker (recommended but not necessary) that yields in a few minutes a delicious dish, risotto-style; on top of it, I placed a colorful selection of antipasti veggies.
It was tasty! A colorful meal for every day of the week❣️
RECIPESeared Tofu in Mustard Maple and Rosemary
About 5 servings
- 1 Red bell pepper cleaned of seeds and cut into eighths
- 1 Green bell pepper cleaned of seeds and cut into eighths
- 1 Yellow bell pepper cleaned of seeds and cut into eighths
- 1 White onion sliced sideways into slices of about 1cm (0.4 inches)
- 1 Zucchini cut sideways and sliced into slices of about half a centimeter
- 1 Plain or purple sweet potato
- 3-6 Medium-sized portabello mushrooms without "legs"
- For brushing: olive oil and rosemary salt* see a note at the end of the recipe
- Soak the tofu in the mustard marinade overnight – to absorb the flavors.
- Slice the tofu into slices about 1 cm (0.4 inches) wide.
- In a small bowl, mix mustard, maple, and oil.
- Mix the crushed garlic with the salt and add to the mustard; Mix well. (See note).
- Brush the tofu slices generously with the mustard mixture, transfer to a box with a sealed lid, close and send to spend the night in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius (392 F).
- Place the vegetables on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush the top of the vegetables with oil. Sprinkle with rosemary salt (note at the end of the recipe)
- Place in the oven and roast until the vegetables are tender and slightly brown.
Rice with Mushrooms
- Heat the oil in a saucepan (preferably in a pressure cooker), add the onion and fry until golden; Add mushrooms and fry until mushrooms begin to brown.
- Add water, salt, and black pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice, stir and bring to a boil.
- Cooking in a pressure cooker: Close the pot according to the manufacturer's instructions; After the whistle, lower the heat and cook for 6-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and wait about five minutes. Then, open according to the manufacturer's instructions. Before opening, it is recommended to place the closed pot under a stream of cold water as a precaution.
- Cooking in a regular pot: Bring to a boil, cover, lower the heat and cook for about twenty minutes until the water evaporates and the rice is tender.
- Sear the tofu: Heat a frying pan, brush it with a bit of olive oil, place the tofu on the pan; Sprinkle a little rosemary over the slices; Fry until you get burn marks, turn, and sear the other side.
- Put two tofu slices on a plate and a portion of rice; Place the antipasti over the rice.