Only 3 Ingredients
This yogurt had been fooling with me for a long time; At first, It was nice to me and succeeded for an unknown reason; I probably just had beginner’s luck 😉 the success lasted a short time. After that, the yogurt may have thickened occasionally but always left a layer of liquid underneath; No matter how much I mixed it – nothing helped! I tried many probiotic brands, sterilized the dishes, placed the yogurt in a warm and supportive environment, and kept it from contact with metal – nada!
Well, you know me! Usually, when a recipe challenges my boundaries, I go into combative mode and don’t let go until I come up with a recipe that works.
To make a successful yogurt, you must take into account three factors:
High-quality coconut milk: It is essential to work with coconut milk with a high-fat content (18%) that contains only coconut and water, without any additives. I work with a 500 ml container of Aroy Di and highly recommend it.
Probiotics: It’s essential to work with the right probiotics; you’ll need a capsule of no less than fifty billion bacteria! This factor is crucial. Several options are on the market, some of which are extremely expensive. I find the NOW probiotics the best option when considering quality, the number of capsules, and the price. One tablet yields half a liter of excellent yogurt at a reasonable price compared to other brands.
Lecithin: For the yogurt to thicken nicely and homogeneously, without annoying separation of liquids that accumulate at the bottom of the jar, an emulsifier is needed to combine water and fat. Once again, the trusty liquid lecithin comes to my aid: if you add one teaspoon of it – you will get excellent yogurt in 2-4 days while stirring occasionally.
On the other hand, if you add a teaspoon and half of it (half a tablespoon), you will not have to mix at all, and within two days (or even less), you will have a perfect thick yogurt. However, in that case, the yogurt will thicken much faster and reach the texture of crème fraîche already on its first day in the refrigerator – at your discretion.
I prefer to put only one teaspoon of lecithin and thus enjoy all the worlds – initially from a velvety yogurt and after a while from an excellent fresh cream. You can serve them as an addition to soup, cakes, desserts, and other foods.
In both options, you can always take out the yogurt that has thickened or hardened about half an hour to an hour before serving, depending on the desired texture; Mix well with a whisk and enjoy a perfect yogurt or crème fraîche. Oh, and to my taste, you barely feel the taste of coconut!
So now that you have a winning recipe, nothing will stop you from making excellent coconut milk yogurt and crème fraîche at home that always work.
Go make it and let me know how it turned out 😋❣️
RECIPECoconut Yogurt and Crème Fraîche That Work!
- 500 ml Coconut milk 18% fat (such as Aroy D) sells in containers
- 1 capsule Probiotics of 50 billion bacteria
- 1 – 1½ tsp liquid sunflower lecithin according to the desired consistency
- Wash the jar well with water and soap and set it aside; There is no need to sterilize the jar.
- Shake the coconut milk container well, open it, and pour it into a blender.
- Add lecithin to the blender, close, and run it for about ten seconds until it is combined with the coconut milk. You will get a fluffy mixture that has slightly increased its volume (that's why you need a jar larger than 500 ml).
- Pour the milk into a jar; Carefully open the probiotic capsule and sprinkle its contents evenly over the coconut milk. Mix gently with a wooden or silicone spoon until most probiotics are absorbed in the milk.
- Cover the jar with a paper towel and fasten it with a rubber band.
- On warm days, place the jar at room temperature for 12-24 hours until you get the desired tangy flavor.
- On cold days, put the jar in an oven heated to a temperature of 30 degrees Celsius (86 F). Place the jar on the oven rack at the lowest level for 12-24 hours until you get the desired tanginess.
- Remove the paper towel, cover the jar with its original lid, and put it in the refrigerator; check the next day, and if a bit of liquid has accumulated at the bottom of the jar, mix it with a whisk. Repeat for about two days until you get a thick and homogeneous yogurt.
- After 1 – 3 days in the refrigerator, you will get a velvety and thick yogurt; Keep in mind that coconut milk yogurt thickens and hardens in the fridge over time – and turns into an excellent Creme Fraiche. However, removing the jar from the refrigerator half an hour to an hour before serving and mixing it with a whisk will restore the soft creamy texture.
- If your oven’s lowest temperature is 50 degrees Celsius (122 F), wait about fifteen minutes before putting the jar in and leaving the door open. The temperature doesn’t have to be exact; just make sure your yogurt won’t catch a cold 🙂
- Keep the probiotics refrigerated. Pay attention to the expiry date.