Stir Fry Glazed Tofu With Veggies And Rice
While the vegetables are baking in the oven, make glazed tofu in an Asian sauce and white rice with mild seasoning of star anise and cardamom. The preparation is simple and does not require any complicated techniques; You get a satisfying, delicious, and beautiful meal suitable for every day of the week. Fusion at its best 😋❣️
- ½ A large sweet potato (or a small sweet potato) peeled and cut into slices about half a cm (0.2-Inch) thick
- ½ Zucchini washed and cut into slices about half a cm (0.2-Inch) thick
- 1 A medium potato washed and cut into sticks about 1 cm (0.4-Inch) thick
- 1 Peeled onion cut into slices about a 1 cm (0.4-Inch) thick
- 6-8 units Mini bell pepper, various colors
- olive oil for brushing
- salt, black pepper, by taste
Seasoned White Rice
- 1½ cup jasmine rice, washed and strained
- ⅓ cup canola, or any mild oil
- 1 star anise
- 2 pods crushed cardamom
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2½ cups boiling water
- 1¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black ground pepper
- 300 gram tofu, drained and dried with a paper towel
- ⅓ cup corn starch
- 2 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon mild oil
- 3-4 cloves minced garlic by taste
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce or tabasco, by taste
- 2 Tablespoon soy sauce add gradually by taste
- 1-2 Tablespoon maple or agave syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon corn starch diluted in1/4 cup of water
- ⅛ tsp five spice powder or a pinch of each: cinnamon, anise, fennel, clove and white pepper
- pinch ground cardamom optional
- spring onion, cilantro, parsley, toasted sesame seeds
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (392 F).
Arrange the vegetables on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Brush olive oil on both sides and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
Bake for about half an hour - fifteen minutes on each side, until the vegetables are soft and golden-brown.
Seasoned White Rice
Heat oil in a pressure cooker (or a standard pot), add one anise star and two crushed cardamom pods, and fry for a few seconds.
Add chopped onion, and fry until translucent.
Add boiling water, salt and black pepper and bring to a boil.
Add the washed and strained rice, mix well and close the lid of the pressure cooker. Cook on high heat until it whistles. Lower to medium-low heat, so you can still hear a whistle, and cook for seven minutes. Remove from heat and keep closed until serving. Follow the safety instructions for opening the pot! To prepare the rice in a standard saucepan or microwave - see the note at the end of the recipe.
Cut the tofu into 1 cm (0.4-Inch) thick sticks.
Put the corn starch on a plate; Dip the tofu on all sides, shake to remove excess, and place on a plate.
Heat oil in a large pan or wok. Sear the tofu sticks on all sides until nicely golden. Remove from the pan and place on a plate.
Add minced ginger and garlic to the pan; Fry for a few seconds until there is a wonderful smell.
Add the rest of the sauce ingredients: Sriracha sauce, soy sauce, maple syrup, vinegar, five spice powder, ground cardamom, water, and diluted cornflour, and mix until it thickens. If the sauce is too thick, gradually add water until you get the desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Return the tofu sticks to the pan and stir-fry to coat them on all sides.
Put rice on a plate, arrange the vegetables on top of the rice, place tofu sticks on top of the vegetables, and garnish with spring onions, cilantro, parsley, and toasted sesame seeds. Remember to take a picture to add to your collection 😉
Rice in a standard pot: make according to the instructions for a pressure cooker until adding the rice. Stir, bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook for about twenty minutes until the water evaporates.
Microwave rice: prepare as per the instructions for a pressure cooker until adding the rice. Transfer to a container suitable for the microwave, with vents. Mix and cook for fifteen minutes.
You can make any rice recipe you want, with basmati or jasmine rice, such as Easy Microwave Rice.
Before serving, remove the empty cardamom pods and star anise (optional)