Vegan Meat Empanadas With Roquette Chimichurri
Make a crispy, elastic dough, shape it into a disc with the palm of your hand; Fill it with a mixture of vegan meat, mushrooms, and some more goodies; Next, brush it with an "egg"; place in the oven for short baking and serve with Roquette Chimichurri or Salsa. That's the whole story! You have received an addictive and comforting dish; Suitable as a snack, appetizer, or light meal. Now, let's see if you can control yourself :)
Vegan Meat Mixture
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 25 grams TVP Soy chips, soaked in boiling water for about 5 minutes, drained, and squeezed well.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 100 grams mushrooms, chopped שמפניון, פורטובלו
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp pine, pistachio or olives, chopped or a mixture of all
- ¼ tsp Ras El Hannut
- ¼ tsp paprika or smoked paprika
- salt and black pepper by taste
- 2 cups white spelt flour or plain white flour
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 80 ml lukewarm water add gradually
- 100 grams Fresh rocket, with the stems
- 50 grams Parsley, with the stems
- ½ tsp Dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp salt by taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper by taste
- 1 Small red onion, cut into eight pieces or very coarsely chopped.
- 1 Red bell pepper cut into eight pieces or very coarsely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp apple sider vinegar
- ⅓-½ cup sunflower oil, or canola oil
- sriracha, tabasco or green curry paste by taste
Vegan Meat Mixture
Heat olive oil in a wok or wide skillet.
Fry onion until softened and slightly golden; Add garlic and fry for a few seconds until it smells delicious; Add pine nuts, olives and pistachios and fry for a few more seconds.
Add the squeezed soy chips (TVP) and fry for 3-4 minutes; Add mushrooms and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
Add spices and fry for another minute. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Keep covered in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Please note: The filling should be cold while filling the dough.
Mix flour, oil, sugar and salt in a bowl. Gradually add lukewarm water until a uniform dough is obtained.
If the dough is too sticky, add a little flour; alternatively, add more oil if the dough is too dry (add the oil using a spray bottle) until you get a smooth and flexible dough.
Cover the bowl with cling film and let it rest for at least half an hour at room temperature; this step is essential for developing the dough's texture.
"Egg" for brushing
Mix oil, lecithin, agave, salt, sugar, and black pepper in a small bowl. Keep covered in the refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
Divide the dough into 12 equal balls (do not be ashamed to use a kitchen weight).
No need to roll the dough with a rolling pin! Using the palm of your hand, flatten each ball of dough into a disc about 9-10 cm in diameter. You can stretch the dough with your hands. You will get a disc approximately 3-4 mm thick.
Remove the meat filling from the refrigerator. Place one tablespoon of it in the center of the disc.
Fold the disc in half and fasten it with your fingers or a fork.
Roll the edges slightly inwards as in the picture.
Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and brush the "egg" over the empanadas.
Place in the hot oven and bake for about 15 minutes until the empanadas are golden brown. Serve with roquette chimichurri or salsa sauce.
Place the roquette and parsley in a food processor and chop coarsely; Remove the stubborn stems.
Add oregano, thyme, vinegar, onion, bell pepper, and garlic; Process and add oil gradually while processing. Add oil until you get the desired degree of thickness. The goal here is to achieve a texture that is between a sauce and a spread.
Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary: oil, vinegar, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, or sugar. Keep covered in the refrigerator until served.
- The longer the dough rests, the more flexible it will be at work. So, half an hour is the minimum; it is better to let it spend the night in the refrigerator, covered, so it doesn't dry out.
- There may be some leftover from the stuffing; You can use it in other recipes.
- Make the chimichurri at least an hour in advance, or better overnight, to absorb flavors.